Chartwell Corporate Office
7070 Derrycrest Drive,
Interested in a career that makes a meaningful difference in the lives of others? One where you are valued and respected, listened to, and empowered to live up to your potential? If so, Chartwell Retirement Residences is the place for you.
We are always looking for empathetic, positive and passionate individuals committed to Making People's Lives Better. With over 200 residences across Canada, we have an opportunity for you that will make a difference in your life.
The Property Accountant is responsible for providing financial support to Canadian Retirement or Ontario Long Term Care.
Based on Chartwell’s business plan and corporate goals, and in consultation with the Senior Accounting Manager, the Property Accountant will be responsible for:
· Producing accurate and reliable property-level financial reporting packages in strict adherence to the set procedures for the portfolio of assigned properties;
· Providing financial analysis and support to the properties’ management and internal departments with regards to concerns, reporting issues and variance explanations;
· Reviewing and completing analysis on Balance Sheet and Income Statement by property to verify account balances and determine reasonableness of revenues and expenses;
· Distributing financial packages, with discussion of variances, to operations and finance managers/executives for their review; within the set deadlines.
· Preparing monthly bank reconciliations and reviewing for accuracy and completeness;
· Reviewing the resident trust bank account reconciliations on a monthly basis with verification that it reconciles with the resident trust ledger;
· Preparing Ministry of Health reports (Annual Report, Cash Flow Projections, Rate Reductions, Quarterly Filings) as required throughout the year;
· Preparing all regulatory filings (GST, PST, QST, WSIB, and others, if applicable) and ensuring compliance of payment, reporting and other tax requirements are up to date;
· Assisting in the quarterly review and annual auditing processes, as required;
· Integrating new acquisitions, as required;
· Assisting the Accounting Manager by providing required financial information to lenders via the Senior Vice President, Real Estate Finance;
· Working collaboratively with property/operations management to develop and analyze the annual property budgets, including capital budgets;
· Continuously striving to develop recommendations for process enhancements to optimize property-level financial reporting;
· Performing special projects as requested.
The ideal candidate will possess:
· Related industry experience (preferred)
· Required experience in accounting finance roles: 3 - 5 years
· University degree (Business/Finance related)
· Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA) or equivalent work experience
· Strong knowledge of IFRS and Canadian GAAP (required).
· Public company experience (preferred).
· Knowledge of industry specific accounting principles (preferred).
· Knowledge of various provincial funding models and policies relating to provincial assisted living and long term care health sector (preferred).
· Knowledge of Tenant Protection Act and similar legislation in other jurisdictions.
· Strong computer skills – ERP Software, Microsoft Office (required).
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
· Self-motivated, creative and innovative
· Irregular hours may be required.
· Criminal reference check required
· Occasional travel may be required
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. As a condition of employment, a Criminal Record Search, which may include a vulnerable sector screen, will be required.
Chartwell Retirement Residences (“Chartwell”) is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. If you are a person with a disability and have a question or require assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-663-6448.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.