Registered Practical Nurse (Part-time, Casual)
Chartwell Aurora Long Term Care Residence
32 Mill Street,
Interested in a career that makes a meaningful difference in the lives of others? One where you are valued and respected, listened to, and empowered to live up to your potential? If so, Chartwell Retirement Residences is the place for you.
We are always looking for empathetic, positive and passionate individuals committed to Making People's Lives Better. With over 200 residences across Canada, we have an opportunity for you that will make a difference in your life.
The Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) in a Long Term Care Residence provides professional nursing care to residents in accordance with required medical care and professional nursing practice. They may supervise the activities and provide direction to the Personal Support Workers as defined by the College of Nurses Standard of Practice Working with Unregulated Health Care Workers in the residence.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Assists with the assessment, planning, implementing and evaluation of individualized care to meet the resident’s holistic needs and promotes and respects the Resident Bill of Rights;
- Contributes to the development and evaluation of the resident plan of care. Implements nursing care as outlined in the resident specific plan of care;
- Communicates resident care needs and changes in resident status to the Registered Nurse and to key resident contacts;
- Provides input into the need for a resident transfer into or out of the unit;
- Provides direct resident care as outlined in the resident plan of care including but not limited to administration of medication, completion of treatments, and resident teaching related to care needs;
- Encourages active participation of residents in therapy programs and recreational activities;
- Liaise with physicians and other internal and external members of the health care team to ensure resident care needs are met;
- Respects and uses sensitivity in spiritual, cultural and ethnic aspects of resident care;
- In collaboration with the Registered Nurse implements Chartwell policy and procedures on the unit;
- Liaises with the physician and other members of the health care team including external health care partners. In absence of the Registered Nurse, notifies the physician immediately of any significant changes in resident status;
- Provide direction to Personal Support Workers on the care team;
- Participate in shift report with the members of the health care team ensuring all members of the team are informed of changes in resident status.
- Records significant changes in resident’s condition; ensure documentation in the resident chart adheres to Chartwell policy and procedure and CNO standards of practice;
- Reviews and processes physician orders as per procedure ensuring orders are implemented as soon as possible. Communicates difficulties in processing physician orders to the Registered Nurse immediately;
- Provides first aid to staff when necessary, initiates Employee Incident Report and ensures completion;
- Ensure all medications required by residents are received on the unit; administers medications and treatments to residents as per home procedures;
- Ensures narcotic medication is stored and accounted for according to Chartwell policy and procedure;
- Participate in orientation and on-the-job training of staff as required;
- Communicates the need for supplies required on the home area to the Registered Nurse. In absence of the Registered Nurse completes the appropriate requisition form for supplies;
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement activities within the home;
- Participates in home/unit committees which affect service;
- As requested participate in resident care conferences;
The ideal candidates will possess:
- All Registered Practical Nurses must have a current Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario and be a member in good standing;
- A sound knowledge and background in geriatric, rehabilitation or long term care nursing including activation, nursing, and personnel administration;
- Knowledge of the Long Term Care Act, Program Standards for Long Term Care, the appropriate sections of the Health Disciplines Act, Occupation Health and Safety Act, Pharmacy Act, Food and Drugs Act (Canada), Narcotic Control Act (Canada), Coroners Act, College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of Practice and other pertinent Federal, Provincial and Municipal Statues which influence the operation of the Nursing Home and more specifically the nursing department;
- Must possess good communication, leadership and interpersonal skills.
Candidates must be available to work days, evenings, nights and weekends.
To apply please email your CV/resume to email@example.com
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. As a condition of employment, a Criminal Record Search, which may include a vulnerable sector screen, will be required.
Chartwell Retirement Residences (“Chartwell”) is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. If you are a person with a disability and have a question or require assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-663-6448.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.