Director of Care
Chartwell Pine Grove Long Term Care and Retirement Residence
8403 Islington Avenue North,
At Chartwell, we’re all about Making People’s Lives Better for our residents, their families, and our employees. Join an exceptional group of diverse, caring, and passionate people who are inspired to make a difference in their own lives and are dedicated to delivering an experience that is personalized, memorable and feels like home for more than 30,000 residents across the country.
The Director of Care is responsible for the coordination and scheduling of resident care activities in compliance with applicable legislation and the maintenance of an atmosphere conducive to achieving the optimal health and welfare of the residents and employees.
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Accountable for the highest standard of resident care and quality of life being provided for the residents through the development and maintenance of appropriate care plans, effective supervision of the performance of nursing staff, provision of the required equipment and supplies and appropriate staffing pattern, nursing services, policies and procedures;
- Coordinate the hiring, orientation, continuing education, supervision, regular performance evaluation and if necessary termination of nursing staff. Review and approve relevant position descriptions;
- Assume responsibility for the Long Term Care Centre’s overall operations in the absence of the Administrator;
- Assist in the orientation and staff development of staff in other departments;
- Convene and participate in meetings as necessary to ensure the effective management and operation of the Nursing Department;
- Acts as an ambassador and role model for the Long Term Care Centre in all interactions with the community, residents, visitors, staff and volunteers both within and outside of the facility;
- Set goals and objectives for resident care progress;
- Actively promote, support and assist in public relations and volunteer recruitment programs. Role model and promote collaboration and coordination of services/programs with community agencies and other health care providers.
- Foster a collaborative relationship and effective, proactive communication with Ministry of Health representatives, the community, physicians, coroner, pharmacist, health care facilities, CCAC and other appropriate agencies or organizations, as related to Resident Care Services.
- Represent Long Term Care Centre at seminars, workshops and other appropriate meetings;
- As an integral member of the site leadership team, participates in decision-making particularly in matters related to staff and resident health and safety.
The ideal candidates will possess:
- Minimum of 3 years management experience in a long term care setting;
- Current certificate of competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse; and education in nursing, nursing administration and gerontology;
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing is preferred as well as past experience demonstrating progressive leadership and hands-on approach to monitoring and evaluating resident care;
- Post graduate studies in nursing, nursing administration and geriatrics are an asset.
- Sound knowledge of infection control practices, adult education, and workplace safety is an asset. Knowledge of relevant legislation is essential, as are computer skills.
To apply please email your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Chartwell recognizes the importance of immunization to protect our residents, staff and others from COVID-19. As such, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, it will be a condition of employment that all new hires have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Chartwell’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity is a commitment to hire people whose skills and abilities contribute the most to the success of the organization and who reflect the communities in which we live and work.
Chartwell Retirement Residences is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from a wide range of qualified candidates, including persons with disabilities.
If you have questions or require assistance with the application process, please email email@example.com or call 1-888-663-6448.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.