Assistant General Manager
Chartwell Griesbach Retirement Residence
4480 McCrae Avenue,
At Chartwell, we’re all about Making People’s Lives Better for our residents, their families, and our employees. Join an exceptional group of diverse, caring, and passionate people who are inspired to make a difference in their own lives and are dedicated to delivering an experience that is personalized, memorable and feels like home for more than 30,000 residents across the country.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for supporting the overall operation of the retirement residence including resident care, programs, services, environmental coordination and fiscal performance. The AGM supports the operation of the retirement residence where the residents enjoy a lifestyle and quality of life exceeding their expectations and maintains a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and other staff members. All duties are performed in the best interest of the residents and their families, and in accordance with Chartwell’s vision, mission and values statements.
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with General Manager in the oversight of all aspects of operational programs to ensure that the programs and property consistently meet Chartwell’s expectations for a successful and profitable retirement residence, while ensuring the well-being and comfort of residents’ remains of prime importance;
- Ensuring that residents’ are involved in decisions concerning their care where appropriate;
- Ensures the provision of meals for all residents utilizing the food plan provided. Ensures all Public Health regulations are maintained in relation to food storage, handling and preparation;
- Ensures the planning, implementation and evaluation of a recreation program to meet the identified needs of the residents;
- Responds to resident or family members concerns and ensures appropriate action is taken within decision-making authority and/or brings to the attention of the General Manager;
- Supports the development of creative and innovative programs and policies for the recruitment and retention of all categories of staff. Assists in planning, implementation and evaluation of orientation and education programs for all staff. Supports the leadership and motivation to ensure staff works to meet the goals of the residence while enjoying job satisfaction;
- Facilitates mandatory staff education per Chartwell expectations. Tracks and logs staff attendance to all training;
- Attends and participates in general resident and resident council meetings as required;
- Assists with the preparation of the operating and capital budgets and receives budget approval from Corporate Office. Contributes to completion of monthly variance report;
- Supports the implementation of innovative and creative programs to attract and retain residents.
- Understands and follows all health and safety policies and procedures. Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, other staff members and residents;
- Chairs the monthly Occupational Health and Safety Committee ensuring minutes are taken and posted, monthly audits are completed and deficiencies are acted upon, injuries and time lost are tracked and improvement plans are developed;
- Maintains confidentiality of residents’ personal information;
- Contributes toward completion of performance appraisals of management staff;
- Understands policies, procedures and legislation relating to staff disciplinary matters within the residence. Is familiar with the terms of the collective agreements (if applicable) and may be involved in employee disciplinary actions;
- Ensures compliance with Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) regulations.
The ideal candidates will possess:
- Minimum of two years’ relevant experience in the retirement or hospitality industry.
- Experience in progressively responsible roles with demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, marketing and financial planning skills.
- Graduate of a post secondary certificate/diploma or degree program in nursing, social work, gerontology, hospitality or business.
- Demonstrated effective communication (written and verbal) and leadership skills.
To apply please email your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Chartwell recognizes the importance of immunization to protect our residents, staff and others from COVID-19. As such, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, it will be a condition of employment that all new hires have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Chartwell’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity is a commitment to hire people whose skills and abilities contribute the most to the success of the organization and who reflect the communities in which we live and work.
Chartwell Retirement Residences is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from a wide range of qualified candidates, including persons with disabilities.
If you have questions or require assistance with the application process, please email email@example.com or call 1-888-663-6448.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.