Health Care Aide
Chartwell Emerald Hills Retirement Residence
At Chartwell, we’re all about Making People’s Lives Better for our residents, their families, and our employees. Join an exceptional group of diverse, caring, and passionate people who are inspired to make a difference in their own lives and are dedicated to delivering an experience that is personalized, memorable and feels like home for more than 30,000 residents across the country.
The Health Care Aide is responsible for assisting residents with the activities of daily living in a safe and caring manner. As a member of the nursing team, they support and encourage the residents to build self-esteem, promote independence and protect their rights to autonomy and dignity.
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assists in providing adequate nutrition, providing meals and nourishment and feeding to those residents as needed;
- Assists with personal hygiene, bathing and dressing;
- Assists with bowel and bladder care, ensuring the privacy and dignity of the resident, are protected at all times;
- Assists residents to maintain mobility and to transfer safely;
- Assists residents to participate in the social and recreational activities of their choice;
- Assists with transportation as required;
- Assists residents to meet requirements for sleep and rest by providing the optimum environments for rest periods and undisturbed sleep;
- Encourages residents’ to participate in care decisions and choices;
- Assists residents to meet basic needs in a gentle, courteous and respectful manner;
- During the process of dying and death, works with the Registered Nurse / Licensed Practical Nurse to ensure that comfort and dignity are maintained;
- Assists with care of the body;
- Observes and reports changes in a residents’ functional and cognitive behavior;
- May provide enemas and catheter care; apply simple dressings and topical medication including ointments and lotions; take urine samples; take and record vital signs and obtain routine laboratory specimens;
- Assist with the admissions, discharges and transfer or residents;
- Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to the Registered Nurse / Clinical Coordinator / Director of Care;
- Performs and records specific nursing procedures, as directed by the Registered Nurse / Licensed Practical Nurse;
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Successful completion of a Resident Care Attendant Program;
- Experience supporting seniors with the ADL;
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate effectively in English;
- Customer service oriented;
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal and team relationships;
- Conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate empathy and understanding of the needs of seniors;
- Knowledge of continuous quality improvement/risk management issues;
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the delivery of care services;
- Ability to multi-task.
Candidates must be available to work days, evenings and weekends.
To apply please email your CV/resume to email@example.com
Chartwell recognizes the importance of immunization to protect our residents, staff and others from COVID-19. As such, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, it will be a condition of employment that all new hires have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Chartwell’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity is a commitment to hire people whose skills and abilities contribute the most to the success of the organization and who reflect the communities in which we live and work.
Chartwell Retirement Residences is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from a wide range of qualified candidates, including persons with disabilities.
If you have questions or require assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-663-6448.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.